Join a Coalition!
ACEC/VA members are eligible to join specialty coalitions within ACEC, these are dedicated communities of ACEC members organized by practice area or firm size. Click here to learn more.
Join a Committee!
Volunteer Committees and Sub Committees
This committee shall provide advocacy on behalf of the engineering industry and establish rapport with pertinent governmental agencies. Members of this committee shall represent ACEC/VA on the Joint Legislative Committee (JLC), a joint committee of ACEC/VA and VSAIA. Meets as needed throughout the year.
- Chair: Randy Reaves, Schnabel Engineering
- Ex-officio: Murphy Tuomey, AMT Engineering
This committee shall provide continuing education for firm employees and promote engineering in schools of the Commonwealth. Meets 4-6 times each year.
- Co-Chair: Angie Lilly & Patreace Thornton, Mason & Hanger
- Ex-officio: Chadd Yeatts, Schnabel Engineering
Implement the financial policy established by the executive board, prepare the annual budget, and audit the accounts of the Council. Meets 1-2 times each year.
- Chair: Pete O'Hara, PE, ECS Mid-Atlantic
- Ex-officio: Mike Matthews, The Structures Group
This committee shall provide guidance on environmental planning and compliance issues related to engineering practice in Virginia. Meets monthly.
- Chair: Drew Harrison, Schnabel Engineering
- Ex-Officio: Eric Burke, Moffatt & Nichol
This committee shall pursue prospects to apply for membership, encourage members to bring in new members, encourage attendance by new and current members at meetings and events, and help new members become active quickly in the Council. Meets regularly throughout the year.
- Chair: Dawn Best, Vansant & Gusler, Inc.
- Ex-officio: Carey Andrews, Mason & Hanger
Sub Committee - Next Generation Committee
Represent young professionals within member firms, promote increased participation in Council activities, increase diversity in participation, and provide a young professional perspective to various activities of the Council.
- Chairs: Teresa King, Froehling & Robertson, Inc., and David M. Anderson, ECS Mid-Atlantic
Political Action Committee (PAC)
This committee develops funding opportunities for both the ACEC/PAC and the Engineering Companies of Virginia PAC (ECV/PAC) to support advocacy efforts on the state and national levels.
- Chair: Eric Burke, Moffatt & Nichol
- Ex-Officio: Mike Matthews, The Structures Group
Work with state officials and keep members informed on transportation issues. Work with staff to set up networking avenues with key VDOT personnel.
- Chair: Scott Lovell, STV
- Vice-Chair: Owen Peery, RK&K
- Ex-officio: Jim Murray, Stantec
Review the financial and other arrangements between the Council and the Executive Director each year, and recommend any action it deems necessary to the Finance Committee.
- Chair: Eric Burke, Moffatt & Nichol
- Other members: Janet Webster, Clark Nexsen, Michael A. Matthews, The Structures Group
Sub Committee - Fellows
Recommend to the Executive Board members who are eligible, in accordance with the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) requirements, to become ACEC Fellows and submit to ACEC nominees approved by the Executive Board.
Review Board nomination candidates to be elected to the Board of Directors and provide a proposed slate of Officers to the membership for review by May 15 of each year.
- Chair: Donald Booth, DJG, Inc.
Special Interest Group (SIG)
The Structural Engineers Association of Virginia (SEAVa) is an association of structural engineers or are individuals associated with the practice of structural engineering. SEAVa is a special interest group of ACEC/VA however, membership is separate.
Chair: Jackie Miller, PE, SE - Moseley Architects
Vice Chair: Pete Allen, PE - Clark Nexsen
Immediate Past Chair:
Shane Fowler, PE, M. Eng. - Simple Design
Jeffrey S. Davis, PE, SECB, LEED AP BD+C - Dunbar Milby Williams Pittman & Vaughan
Earl Inge, Jr., PE - Stroud, Pence & Associates
Kaitlin Joyce, PE - Collins Engineers
Stephanie McAvoy, PE - Mason & Hanger